Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day Poem

Here is a poem I wrote for my dad on Father's day one year; it had to have been at least five years ago. I don't remember. But since it is father's day tomorrow I thought I should put it up.



My Father's Hands:

My father's hands are the kind that although strong,
When I was growing up they taught me no wrong,
When I was a baby they held me gently,
Those hands, when I would fall, picked me up and set me down lightly,
Those hands showed me how to tie my shoes the right way,
When crossing the street those hands held mine, and in those warm, strong, beautiful hands, my hand would stay.

But one thing that my father's hands did that was the greatest,
Was, with those hands, he held his Bible as he read aloud,
The truth of what he read would always give me rest,
And his voice, proclaiming God's love, was firm and loud.

Through my father's hands I learned about my father God,
Through my father's hands I see the likeness of my God,
My God's hands are strong, yet gentle,
God's hands work through my life goodly and subtle,
He will never teach me wrong,
And like my earthly father I proclaim God's truth with song,
And when I fall my Lord helps me up, and helps me to again take flight,
My eyes now see with my Lord's sight,

With my father's hands it is now known,
The love our Father God has for the world, is shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment