Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forced Obligations

I'm just gonna give you a little story before I share my poems. Like why I wrote the poem and what or maybe who it's based on.
So for this one the church I was in was kinda making me upset because the people there would ask me to do stuff without actually asking, like they would say "So your gonna do this thing this date right? We'll see you there okay!!" And they would walk away and basicallly I was forced to show up at that time or else. So I kinda got fed up and didn't show up one time....I think they were mad at me. But they didn't even ask and if they had given me a chance to answer I would've said NO because it was kinda a stressful time for me. So thats the story, and this one's kinda humorous and at the same time serious. I write poems sometimes to vent that way I won't explode and yell to someone's face.



Forced Obligations

You asked me to do this thing today,
But nay,
You did not ask me,
You just thought it would be,
You said in your voice "She will go,"
But if you had asked me the answer would have been "No."

There is so much on my platter already,
Why do you have to make it more heavy?
I love to serve you and the church,
But being forced by you makes me lurch,
It does not feel nice when you take advantage of me,
Why is it you cannot see?

That if you force someone into an obligation,
They will soon take a new direction,
Another church they will flee to,
Somewhere where they won't melt away into,
A pile of sweat and lard,
From having been worked so hard,

It is good to work in your church, it is,
But not so much it's become a crisis,
So mad at me you may be,
For not following yout word to the "T,"
But I will give you a view into my life,
And maybe you will see some of my strife,

And why I long for just a day or two,
Of freedom from everyone and you,
I have a play to direct,
So on Easter all will be correct,
A Sunday school lesson I must get ready,
Is your brain already getting heavy?

A Bible study at my house at tonight's call,
And my house must be clean all in all,
I work with children all week,
So you wonder why I seek,
On the weekends I just want to have a fun time,
Is that so much of a crime?

Many times, and many things,
I've jumped and came at your rings,
And calls, but overall,
I feel as though I've become very small,
I love to help the church and do ministry,
But not being asked, and it just being assumed I will do it, is an abhorrity,

The things I mentioned above or not all,
The reasons I wish to go,
To a new church to start on my call,
But the reason above all,
Which is why I have taken up writing like Poe,
Is I do not agree with the things you believe,
And this is the very first reason for why I must leave.

By Nicole Bittle

No comments:

Post a Comment